Raising children has changed so much since the time of our parents and grand-parents. Today, we benefit of so many things that make our lives so much better. If you are a first time parent, or expecting a baby, you can easily get confused about which products you really need. But this is normal. There are so many baby products out there, and you probably will do just fine if you only buy those products that are actually very useful to you, and make a considerable difference towards a higher quality of life. One of these products are baby monitors.
When it comes to these products, most parent get stuck at the same question: “Do I need a baby monitor?”. Because many of our readers asked us whether purchasing a baby monitor is a good decision, we decided to try and answer this question by taking a close look at all the aspects that need to be taken into account before buying one.
Table of Contents
Reasons AGAINST buying a baby monitor:
Although baby monitors are a very helpful product, in most cases there are certain reasons and circumstances where buying one is probably not justified. Some of these circumstances are:
- If you are living in a small apartment or house, and are always close to your baby, buying a monitor is probably not the wisest thing you can do with your money. There are baby monitors that can be connected to your Wi-Fi and enable you to keep an eye on your little one by using an App which you download on your mobile device, like the iBaby M6. These monitors are very useful if completing most of your tasks need you to get out of the house.
- If you’re the parent of a newborn, and you’ve put his crib or bassinet in your bedroom, then you could postpone buying a monitor, as you’re going to spend most time together anyway. Part of the idea behind getting a monitor is being able to check on him at night.
- Another case where a monitor is probably not necessary, is when you have someone around the house helping you with the baby.
- Finally, if you have a security system installed in your house that is good enough to be used to monitor your child easily, then getting a monitor is again, probably not necessary.
Reasons FOR buying a baby monitor:
- If you were keeping your baby in a bassinet near your bed, and are moving him into a crib in his own room, then, a video monitor will be very helpful, especially at night. Make sure to go for one that has good quality two-way talk. This way, when your baby wakes up at night and only needs to be comforted, to be able to go back to sleep, you will not have to get out of bed.
- If you want to have more control over what’s happening at every step of the way, but want to do so without letting your curiosity be too intrusive and risk waking your baby up, then a monitor, is again, a great solution.
- If relatives, like grand-parents, would love to check on their nephew more frequently, but live farther away, then a Wi-Fi connected monitor will make the entire family a lot happier.
- Another case where the purchase of a baby monitor can do a lot towards your peace of mind is either when you’re at work, or you’re running errands around your house. Most people can’t give their 100% if they don’t know for a fact that their child is alright.
Before deciding on a certain baby monitor, you should do some research on these products. Probably the best thing you can do is start by checking out some video monitor reviews, or reading our guide on finding the best video baby monitor.